Dental hygienist job description – A Dental Hygienist is a competent medical practitioner. Read more about the dental hygienist job description.
A Dental Hygienist is a competent medical practitioner that performs a variety of tasks to assist patients in achieving and maintaining optimal oral health. They support Dentists by doing initial examinations, taking X-rays of patients, and aiding other dental staff members throughout a dental appointment.
Typically, dental hygienists operate in a dental office and provide preventative dental treatment, screen patients for gingivitis and other oral illnesses, clean teeth, and counsel patients on how to improve their oral health. Dental Hygienist Job Description
The responsibility of dental hygienists is to provide oral care to patients via examination, teeth cleaning, and other preventive dental procedures. Hygienists work in hospitals, public health clinics, private dental offices, and dentistry schools, among other venues.
Hygienists are required to get an associate’s degree in dental hygiene from a recognized institution. In addition, dental hygienists must be registered as Registered Dental Hygienists (RDH). In most states, being an RDH requires completion of an authorized dental hygiene curriculum, CPR certification, passing a national exam, and passing a state clinical exam.
Read Also: Cyber Security Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Dental Assistants or Certified Dental Assistants are responsible for giving Dentists hands-on assistance and doing preparation work so that they may care for patients more effectively. Their responsibilities include completing patient intake paperwork and maintaining patient records, sanitizing and arranging dental equipment, and aiding with dental treatments.
The Dental Hygienist will clean teeth and inspect the head, neck, and oral regions for symptoms of oral illness. In addition to educating patients on oral hygiene, taking and developing x-rays, and applying fluoride or sealants, this role teaches patients on oral hygiene.
Responsibilities of a dental hygienist
- Make sure patients are as relaxed as possible before their checkup.
- Dental instruments should be sterilized thoroughly.
- Perform initial mouth screenings and review your oral health history.
- Determine whether you have gingivitis, caries, or periodontitis.
- Cleaning and protecting patients’ teeth (e.g. remove plaque or apply fluoride)
- Patients of all ages should be educated about proper tooth care (by demonstrating, for example, good brushing techniques)
- Give patients instructions following surgery or other dental treatments.
- Take dental imprints or X-rays
- Assist dentists in choosing effective therapies for a variety of disorders (including oral cancer)
- Maintain patient paperwork and records. Information Guide Nigeria
- Supplies to be monitored 15 best Carpet Grass and their prices in Nigeria
- Promotes dental health by performing dental prophylaxis, oral cancer screening and radiographic examinations, documenting decay and disease conditions, and executing treatments in accordance with the Dental Practice Act.
- Follows established processes and regulations to prepare the treatment room for the patient.
- Welcomes, soothes, seats, and drapes the patient in preparation for oral hygiene therapy.
- Answers patients’ and workers’ queries and requests for information.
- Maintains dental hygiene instrumentation by sharpening, sterilizing, and choosing equipment.
- By examining the patient’s oral health, selects supplies and equipment for dental hygiene visits.
- Cleans deposits and stains from teeth and beneath gum edges to complete dental prophylaxis.
- Completes oral cancer screening, feels and visually examines gums, uses probes to find periodontal disease and analyze levels of recession, and exposes and develops radiographic studies to detect disease.
- Fluorides and other cavity-preventive chemicals are used to stop tooth decay.
- By constructing interim restorations, cleaning, and polishing detachable appliances, the patient’s appearance and ability to masticate is maintained.
- Amalgam repairs are placed, carved, and finished.
- Cleans crowns and bridges of cement.
Read Also: Customer Success Manager Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
- Maintaining CPR certification, emergency medications and oxygen supplies, and a list of emergency numbers assists dentists in managing dental and medical crises.
- Educates patients by offering oral hygiene and plaque management guidelines, as well as postoperative advice and reminders about the next dental hygiene appointment.
- Records vital signs, medical and dental histories, and charts in patient records to document dental hygiene treatments.
- Maintains patient trust and safeguards operations by keeping information private.
- Maintains a safe and clean workplace by adhering to procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adheres to infection-control policies and processes to protect patients and workers.
- Maintains dental equipment operation by performing preventative maintenance, according to manufacturer’s instructions, diagnosing faults and calling for repairs, monitoring equipment inventories, and reviewing new equipment and procedures.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by inspecting stock to evaluate inventory level, forecasting needed supplies, making and expediting supply orders, and verifying supply receipt.
- Utilizes dental resources efficiently by only employing equipment and supplies as needed to complete tasks. Good morning my love messages
- Cleaning accretions, calcareous deposits, and stains off teeth and under gum borders with dental equipment.
- Feeling lymph nodes beneath patients’ chins for evidence of soreness or swelling to look for indicators of mouth cancer.
- Taking down and evaluating the patient’s medical history.
- Examining and locating periodontal recessed gums and other symptoms of gum disease with probes.
- Keeping track of dental deterioration and illness for dentists to diagnose and cure.
- Upkeep of dental equipment and x-ray machine.
- Examining gums visually and tactilely for symptoms of illness, sores, and other oral health concerns.
- X-ray film exposure and development.
- Dental instruments are sharpened and sterilized.
- Promoting preventive dental treatment in order to promote patient oral health.
- Using fluorides and other decay-prevention chemicals.
- Collaboration with dentists and dental hygienists.
- Keeping a dental hygiene regimen in place for patients.
- Perform dental hygiene operations and services such as dental prophylaxis, scaling, flouride and sealants, and root planing.
- Perform a comprehensive examination of the patient’s teeth, bone, and periodontal tissues, noting any anomalies or suspected diseases.
Read Also: Public Relations Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
- Care should be tailored to the patient’s oral health needs.
- Educate patients on proper oral hygiene practices.
- As required, assist the dentist with procedures and emergencies.
- Keep patient confidentiality in mind.
- All treatment should be given in accordance with acknowledged professional dentistry procedures and standards.
- During routine checks, patients are screened.
- Examining the dental history of a patient
- Advising on care to improve a patient’s oral health
- Teaching patients how to properly clean their teeth
- Providing preventative dental treatment
- Fluoride treatments are used.
- Taking and examining x-rays for indicators of dental illness
- Examine the patient’s medical history.
- Remove stains, calculus (tartar), and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all tooth surfaces of patients’ teeth. 15 Best Women’s Skirts in Nigeria and their Prices
- Sealants and fluorides can be used to safeguard your teeth.
- Dental X-rays are taken and interpreted.
- Teach patients proper oral hygiene techniques, such as flossing. JAMB portal
- Screen for gingivitis and oral cancer.
- Inform patients on the importance of adequate diet and its influence on dental health.
- Take dental imprints of patients.
- Keep track of patients’ treatment programs.
- Using dental equipment, removes calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from teeth and under gum borders.
- Using probes, examines gums for periodontal recessed gums and symptoms of gum disease. Feels lymph nodes beneath the patient’s chin for swelling or pain that may suggest the existence of mouth cancer.
- Develops and exposes x-ray film.
- Patient medical histories are recorded and reviewed.
- Charts decay and illness situations for dental diagnosis and therapy.
- Sharpens and sterilizes dental tools and maintains dental equipment.
- Provides clinical treatments or health education to individuals or the general public in order to enhance and maintain their oral health.
REad Also: Police Officer Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Roles of a dental hygienist
Dental assistants help take care of patients during dental cleanings and oral surgery. They work in dentist’s offices, orthodontic offices, and dental surgery centers. Dental assistants teach patients about procedures and how to take care of their teeth. They also tell patients how to take care of their mouths, order x-rays and other scans, and talk to patients about making regular appointments. They set up dental exam tables, help with cleanings and fillings, and hold things like suction tubs and mirrors for the dentist while he or she works. Dental assistants also keep track of administrative tasks like scheduling patients, keeping supplies stocked, and billing patients or insurance companies.
Dental hygienist job qualifications/skills
- An associate’s degree from an authorized hygiene school is required.
- The ability to use local anesthetic drugs. Romantic love message
- Capable of using an x-ray machine.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and vocal communication abilities.
- Ability to use computers for a range of purposes.
Understands oral hygiene and dental health.
- Proven experience as a Dental Hygienist or in a comparable job
- In this career, extensive understanding of health and safety standards is required (e.g. HIPAA) NYSC portal
- Knowledge of how to prepare and maintain dental equipment
- A patient and welcoming demeanor
- Pay close attention to the details.
- Physical stamina to satisfy the job’s physical needs
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Valid practice permit
Read Also: Amazon Picker Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Dental hygienist salary structure in USA
How much does a Dental Hygienist get paid in the US? In the United States, the average salary for a dental hygienist is $79,588, but the range is usually between $69,113 and $90,498. Salary ranges can be very different depending on many important factors, such as education, certifications, additional skills, and the number of years you have worked in your field.
We hope that this article will help and guide you in your job search.
Check JAMB Result
Check and Confirm: How much is Dollar to Naira
Information is Power!
Don’t miss any valuable information or opportunity that can change your life, business, and family positively and permanently.
Click here to subscribe!
👍Advertise your business on InfoGuideNigeria.com!
From just N9,999 per month, you can advertise your products and services to over 1,500,000 monthly users on our website. Click here to read more.
Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
The images, except where otherwise indicated, are taken directly from the web, if some images were inserted by mistake violating the copyright, please contact the administrator for immediate removal.
We publish all content with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us for immediate removal.